Wednesday 7 December 2016

Facets Plus - Finished!



If you’ve been following the progress of this quilt looking at these photos is probably giving you a sense of deja-vu. But that’s what happens when you’re participating in a quilt-along, this one hosted by Amanda at This Mom Quilts.


Finally it is finished and happily installed on the spare room bed and it’s time for the celebratory happy dance.


And the final stages went really well. Even though I was anxious about the thought of quilting this it was smooth sailing. And speaking of smooth, the back is pucker-free as well – a first for me. I put it down to trying a different basting technique that I found on Campbell Soup Diary. I’m lucky enough to have a fairly large table in my sewing space and using clamps to keep the layers smooth worked a treat! I may also have basted more densely than in the past. All techniques I will use again.


Not having a pet to photogenically loll on my quilts I decided to use this very cute toy donkey. Originally he was named (by the toy company) ‘Dopey Donkey’ and came with a backpack full of tiny books with stories about how stupid he was. I thought this was very unkind so promptly binned them even though the backpack idea was kinda cute. Now, of course, he has no name such is the depth of my lack of imagination. If you’ve got any suggestions let me know.

Stats
Finished size is 70” by 80”.
You can find the pattern here


11 comments:

  1. Congrats on a lovely finish Sue. I really like the greys with the pops of pinks, it works well with the design. I'll check the basting technique out, thank you for the recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a really beautiful quilt Sue. The different greys in the background give it a nice depth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all the colors! Fantastic finish! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful. I love the simple color palette. It really makes the design pop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful finish. It looks right at home in your spare room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This turned out so wonderful. I think you should call that donkey Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful finish! I love the color palette you chose, it looks perfect on the bed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every once in a while we need a happy dance! Its a beautiful finish and looks great on the bed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This turned out BEAUTIFUL!! I've been crushing over those fabrics ever since you started this quilt. Congrats on a great finish. Well, now that he has modeled on a quilt, Mr. Donkey needs a quilting name. He is now a quilty donkey.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just a wonderful quilt - I love the colours you have used on it!

    ReplyDelete