Wednesday, 17 October 2018

Making Progress #4

Tish from Tish’s Adventures in Wonderland revealed the design for the Fireburst Mystery Quilt last week so the top of I’ve been working on can be put together. This is it as of the weekend when I took some photos of my progress. I put mine together in an alternative way to the instructions and I ended up with quarters that then need the central strip between them. 

There’s still plenty of time to make one before the final round-up on New Year’s Eve. A list of all the different instructions can be found from this page. Naturally Tish has made umpteen different versions of this quilt so there’s plenty of inspiration.

Earlier this year I put my hand up to become part of a team to work on a Quiltcon charity quilt. The theme this year is small piecing (less than 1”) and we need to make a twin size quilt minimum 65” by 88”. This is the colour palette everyone is using.

I’m in a group of 4 (eeeek!) and since one of our group is going to be doing the quilting that leaves 3 of us to do the piecing. We’ve had some communication problems, or lack of communication problems, that meant there was little brainstorming done at the design stage and a quick decision needed to be made so we went with doing a sampler using traditional blocks. I was able to talk the others into using very wide solid borders so that means each of us is making four 15” sections.
I’ve been putting together blocks to be made into sections later. This is what I’ve made so far (excuse all the dangling threads).

 A hovering hawk

A block that was called the Amish block on Pinterest

I’ve put together four crosses and losses blocks to make ‘one’ because by this stage I was starting to look for quicker cheats to fill the space.

I have plans to turn these small plusses and 9 patches into one large section.

And a winged square because I could use the 8 at a time HST method by making it in two colours.


Wednesday, 3 October 2018

September 2018 Bee Block Round-up

The Modern Christmas trees block has been on my bucket list must-makes for a while now and making a couple of blocks for September’s Stash Bee Queen Dawn hasn’t changed my mind. These were a fun and simple block. 

The tutorial by Amy from Diary of a Quilter is really easy to follow and the technique couldn’t be simpler and has me thinking that there must be plenty of  other shapes that could be done like this. Amy already has the Modern Basket block which I’m definitely planning on making. 

And in Bee Inspired this month we have two Queens. Irene asked for 16 inch log cabin blocks made up of 1 inch strips (tutorial here) in whites and off-whites

And Janice requested house blocks using Sandra from mmm! Quilts pattern (free!).

I made a second one on behalf of Kate from Smiles from Kate who is out of action for a while at least. We’re all hoping she makes a speedy recovery and in the meantime we’re taking it in turns to make angel blocks.

Happy sewing