Wednesday 27 June 2018

June 2018 Bee Block Round-up



I have two blocks to show you this month for  Bee Inspired since I didn’t post a block round-up last month. First up this month’s queen is Jen from A Dream and a Stitch. She asked us to choose a block to make up in tertiary colours that she can turn into a mini. When I posted my Stash Bee Geese Trails block from Piece and Press for March on Instagram Jen said it was on her list of makes. I know my own list is huge and it rarely stays the same between morning and night so I made her one. I used a different pattern this time around, the Circle of Geese from Piece by Number, and increased the size by 133% so that it turns out at 16” finished. I wasn’t intentionally going to place the geese in rainbow order and that’s just as well because somehow the plan I did have went awry anyway.


The second block from last month is for Velda at Freckled Fox Quiltery. It’s a cake block from a free pattern by Patty Sloniger (link to download page here). Velda wanted us to make our favourite cake and for me the most important ingredient is chocolate. My other inspiration was an ex-work mate who likes to cook and always says he makes his dishes with love (somehow he makes it sound slightly unsavoury) so I put some love in as well with the printed heart fabric. I’m calling it as red velvet cake with a chocolate Smarties frosting, giving me a good excuse to buy Smarties for photo styling!


And in Stash Bee Em from Moonlight Sewing asked us to make improv single colour squares with a couple of strips of the adjacent colour on the colour wheel, then add white triangles to the side and add the central colour to the corners (tutorial here). I definitely prefer the efficiencies of a planned block but I love the way this turned out, it’s so citrusy!

Happy sewing
Sue

Linking up to Lorna at Sew Fresh Quilts, Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation and Wednesday Wait Loss at The Inquiring Quilter

8 comments:

  1. I agree that the final block has a really nice citrusy feeling to it! I like the idea of adding in just a few strips of the adjacent color on the color wheel, it creates a fun pop in the block. And now I really want some chocolate cake, your pieced version sounds very scrumptious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every.single.one of these blocks! You always so such a good job with the blocks that you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made the Circle of Geese a couple times and have always loved how it turns out! Yours is a fresh version that is so appealing! And that improv block...what can I say...it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful bee blocks! Love that your cake just had to include chocolate! Your circle of geese is perfection. Jen will love it. I agree that improv can be hard but your citrus block turned out perfect. Her quilt will be lovely when they are all put together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blocks! Now, I wasn't familiar with adding a pop from the next colour on the colour wheel, but it clearly works wonderfully. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three great blocks Sue. I'm impressed with your paper piecing and wow, where did you get that smarties fabric? It's perfect. Your improv goes from strength to strength, I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wide variety of blocks! All of them turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your blocks are lovely! Very creative on the color wheel in flying geese! I know Jen will be pleased as will Velda on her smarties cake!

    ReplyDelete