Wednesday 13 June 2018

Curated Quilts: Flapping of Butterfly Wings (a finish)



Improv is not really my thing so when the latest Curated Quilts Mini Challenge was announced I thought I was going to sit it out. The theme is ‘Connections’ and like a dog with a bone I kept trying to brain storm ideas. Eventually I came up with this idea: in chaos theory small events can make big differences in outcomes and a common analogy is the connection between the flapping of a butterfly’s wings and the occurrence of a tornado.


That off centre section in the navy background is my attempt at a cyclone/ hurricane/ typhoon symbol. 


Note, also, that like a real meteorological map my quilted spirals are closer and more organic around the cyclone symbol? That wasn’t exactly intentional but more a product of the difficulty of quilting a tight circle. It gets better as it goes further out and the circles are larger.


The challenge colours are yellow, mustard yellow, navy, cream, grey and moss green. I made a moss green butterfly as well but I couldn’t fit it back into the mini within the size limitations I set myself. Finished size is 10 ¾ inch square.

I’m trying to keep track of the issue with Blogger and comment notification but so far there has been no fix and time marches on. They say they are working on it but in the meantime I won’t be able to reply – my apologies, it’s one of the best parts of blogging.

Happy sewing

Sue


11 comments:

  1. I caught the reference in your mini quilt right away. Very clever and well executed idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Yvonne! I'm sure you know more about this stuff than me!

      Delete
  2. What a great concept and execution. I don’t know alot about chaos theory and now must look up that reference. I love when I learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathleen! Glad to be part of your edumacation! :-)

      Delete
  3. I think its wonderful! I love the curated quilt challenges! I was in love with this color palette the instant I saw it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jayne! I love a good challenge too! It's good to stretch out of our comfort zones!

      Delete
  4. Did you change thread to have the Spiral black on the black background? That must gave made the spiral event more difficult isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did change threads but the most difficult part was sewing and turning the quilt in a tight circle. i tried dropping the stitch length but even then...

      Delete
  5. Lovely quilt! You certainly met the challenge. Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like this one Sue, you did a great job and the quilting just spells it out. Great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete