Wednesday 4 April 2018

March 2018 Bee Block Round-up




The March Stash Bee queen is Jen (@jentexas). She picked the paper-pieced Geese Trails block from Piece and Press. She asked for blue or grey background and a transition across the geese colours. We could decide on the layout and the number of sections with geese in them ourselves. I decided to use a blue grey and transitioned my geese from coral to orange to melon and back to coral again. That was the idea anyway, I think it worked. It’s a great looking block but there are loads of seams.


This month we have two queens in Bee Inspired. First to post was Jennifer from The Inquiring Quilter who designed her own shamrock block which will be the border for the quilt we made blocks for last year. Her tutorial is here. Unfinished size is 4 ½  inches.


And on the other throne is Paige at Quilted Blooms who asked for a rectangular teenage version of the I Spy block for a charity quilt. You can find the tutorial here. These were quick and easy to put together.  I suppose I could have used my Dr Suess fabric again, but I resisted. I found these alternatives that I think will be fine for a teenager.


And after two months in a row of requests for the use of novelty fabric in bee blocks I’ve bitten the bullet and bought a couple of fabrics that have a bit of novelty value and appeal to me without being especially juvenile. Here’s one. Cup of tea anyone?

I hope you took it easy with the buns and chocolate, I didn't. Happy sewing
Sue


8 comments:

  1. I like those teen blocks . Simple but elelgant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whew! That is a LOT of seams! But it is also beautiful and very striking. You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit, I was glad I wasn't in that hive when I saw the block! Not because of the seams, but the challenge of something transitioning into another. That kind of thinking just isn't my strong suit. Yours looks great! And I do like your tea fabric :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your bee block round ups every month! I especially love the shamrock blocks. Thanks for linking to Wednesday Wait Loss.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made a very similar block to Geese Trails and really love how it turns out. Just like yours...lots of seams, but very doable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the blocks. I made the Geese one for a bee a few years ago. We had to follow the colour wheel which was fun. I'm a great fan of novelty fabrics and there are some great grown up ones out there when you really start looking xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite a variety in the Bee blocks but they all look great. Delightful fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! I love paper piecing because of the precision when the blocks are finished. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete